Wednesday, January 28, 2009

El Rincon de Esteban

This week has been busy, last night I went to the prayer service at Amistad which was great again. On Monday night I went to dinner with a partner from Ernst & Young who is from the States but has been working in Madrid for 4 years.

The dinner reservations didn't start until 9:30PM which is very typical in Spain. The restaurant was Rincón de Esteban which was very close to the Plaza de Sol, the main hub of Madrid. Like most good restaurants here, you'd probably pass it by, but once you walk inside it is a formal restaurant. As soon as I sat down, Esteban himself, the owner, came over and introduced himself and said that *Matt (name changed), the partner, is his sobrino (nephew). Not his real nephew, but because Matt has held several dinners there, Esteban has practically adopted him!

Our meal started with red wine and a wonderful tapas of dark and light anchovies fillets that you put on pieces of bread that was toasted with a tomato sauce. Not sure how I would normally like anchovies, but these were delicious. Next we had a plate of thinly sliced sausages and olives, more tapas fare. There was also bread and a foie gras (pureed goose liver), but none of us had any. After that we had a hot skillet with spicy, garlic shrimp. It was very tasty. The next dish was a small shot glass of lemon sorbet served with an equally small spoon. To cleanse the palette for our main dish.

Being in Spain for the first time, I've made it my goal to try as many new foods as possible. As a result, I tried Roasted Red Partridge for my main plate. The meat was extremely tender and I don't know if it was Esteban's magic, while it had the texture of chicken, it tasted much more flavorful. I wouldn't describe at all as "game-y" but it definitely tasted a little edgier than bland old chicken. I also had cooked potatoes, which are a pretty typical side dish.

For dessert, we had a variety plate, the especialidad de la casa. I'm not really sure what all was on it, but it tasted great! Sweets aren't very common here, so it was nice to get a dulce for dessert. Also, they served champagne in chilled glasses to Matt and the other student at the dinner.

After dessert (there's more!) you typically have a cafe (coffee). Coffee here is really espresso, so if you want an Americano (half coffee, half hot water) you definitely have to ask for it. Matt had a cortado which is half espresso and half milk. I didn't want any coffee (hoping to sleep later that night!) so I just enjoyed the additional round of sweet treats to go with the coffee. And after the coffee (!) they served shots of a liquor made from yerba (no clue what that is, but the liquor was green). Esteban was taken back by the fact that I didn't drink alcohol (waiting til my 21st), so he took it upon himself to serve me a wonderful liqueour (sp?) made from apples that was sin alcohol (without alcohol). It was wonderful and he served me like 3 shots at least!

Then, we were finally done and Matt took the tab. I looked at my watch and realized it was already 12:30 in the morning! As we were leaving, people were just starting their main course! Dinners here last forever; Matt told me that many people get caught up enjoying everyone's company and going back and forth between a coffee and pastry round, and a shot round.

As we were leaving, Esteban made sure to tell us goodbye, giving us his restaurant's pen and business card. He named me sobrino segundo (second nephew) and I promised him I'd be back! Hopefully I'll go for my birthday!

In the end, it was one of the best dinners I've ever had. Of course it was a little expensive, probably 35 Euros for my meal, but when you get food like that and service that's incomparable, I'd be more than willing to head back there once a week (don't worry, I definitely don't have the budget for it!)! The U.S. needs more restaurants like this, ones with unique flavor, with changing menus, with real service and owners that love each of their customers. Esteban is very successful and very happy. Matt told me that the difference between Madrid and the U.S. is that for restaurant staff in Madrid, this is their career. It's not something they just do to pay the bills, it's what they chose to do because they love it, whether as a camarero (waiter) or the owner. Gotta love it.

Sorry for making y'all hungry, because I know I'm hungry after this post!

No comments: